Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Ho Hey

Sometimes there are too many numbers for me to remember - facts and figures and PINs and codes and combinations.  Recently, I took myself to a doctor's appointment by myself, for myself.  It was my first time to this particular place and, upon registration, I was asked to provide a lot of information about myself. Never mind the fact that I was undoubtedly ready to die of rocky mountain cat scratch spotted fever - I simply could not come up with all of the answers fast enough.  I feel like I should have a little note pinned to the inside of my shirt of all of the numbers in my head just so I could get some relief, but we are advised against that by just about every establishment that required the number of us to begin with.

One.

Social security, account access, addresses, phone numbers, blood types, dates of birth, dosages, conversions, metrics - I didn't want to register anymore. I wanted to die on the floor. Remarkably, I made it through the registration process without having a stroke.  This was at the local urgent care, approximately 11 minutes before they were to close at 9 p.m. on a Friday. Yes, indeed, I am the ideal patient.  A few tests, poking, and proddings later, I found out I had a kidney infection and stones.

Oh hi.

I heard you were sick.
...and I wanted to check on you.
The whole uncomfortable fiasco left me in bed for two entire days. I've never had kidney stones before. I didn't know what to expect. I can honestly say that I would do anything to avoid that kind of pain again. I try really hard to get over being sick as quickly as possible, but this has just been lingering and hanging on.  Day after day, night after night, I am still waking up uncomfortable.  It's been 5 days and the house still hasn't recovered. I've just fallen behind on my domestic duties.  It's no fun - but it could always be worse.

At the urgent care, I 'rated my pain' at a 7 (another number).  By the time I got home to my bed, it was a 14 (#). I hope that makes ya'll reconsider ever taking a calcium supplement again (which I was not at the time).



Anyway, during my two-day siesta (not quite), I was able to catch up on a few videos I had added to my kindle watchlist.  I have been interested in educating myself (and my family) on better eating habits, making better choices about what we eat, and changing our lifestyle to better reflect some of our beliefs.  Once I had collected as much information and statistics (more numbers) as I could, I presented the things I learned to D and Big brother.  Together, as a family, we decided to make a big change and to stop eating as many animal products as we possibly could.  I wholeheartedly committed to doing this after watching the first video, but I knew it would be easier if the family did it together.  Once D and Big brother learned all about it, we were all in it together.

And so, we cleaned out the kitchen of all animal products.  This is a much larger feat that one would imagine.  Reading every label, putting some of our favorite snacks (macaroni and cheese!) in a bag to donate, saying good bye to some of our bad eating habits that have always brought us comfort. It is day 3 for all of us and we're doing really well.  We feel proud of ourselves for behaving in a way that supports what we believe and we know this small change will bring long-term benefits.  And, we have each other to support us.  Something leads me to believe I might not ever have to deal with kidney stones again.

That is just a small change that's occurring around here. The deer are all re-appearing after their springs and summers spent away from the house (probably Martha's Vineyard).  We have the opportunity of watching them grow and learn and eat or play in our yard every day now.  I know this means fall and winter are coming, and it's just one of the many things I am looking forward to.  They have been getting really close to the house.  Sometimes they know we are there. They don't mind as long as we keep a comfortable distance. (which we do - because restraining orders are complicated for wildlife)


Big brother started 5th grade today at his new school.  D and I went to the open house on Monday and helped him learn how to open his locker (a locker!).  We met his teachers.  They are all young and excited and optimistic.  It's lovely.  Big woke up excited this morning and came home excited after school.  He told us how his teacher played football with him at recess and all the new things this school has that the last one didn't.  It's going to be a great year. Big brother is a great kid.

First day of 5th grade.

He had a great summer.  His 10th birthday was a wonderful celebration.  He got Cubs tickets and school clothes and a basketball hoop (from us) and a bedroom re-do (also from us).  He is such a lucky, happy, kindhearted kid. He really is blessed.

The coolest kid I know.
Cubs tickets!

little brother is 9 months now. I can't believe it. He is a little man, and every day he is changing just a little bit.  He is so adventurous, reaching and trying and moving, shaking, dancing. Any day now, I can see him taking steps.  The moment he goes from your arms to the floor, he is off - crawling at full speed and getting into anything he can.  Today while I was on an important call, I watched him pull down and open a 12 pack of toilet paper.  He tore off the plastic and then sat down and pulled out each individual roll of toilet paper.  He inspected, bit, pulled, and threw each roll and crawled away.  He's an itty bitty hurricane, and I love him so.  He has his 2 bottom teeth through now.  He can stand for long period of time, pull himself up, coast along edges of furniture on his feet.  He can say 'mahmah' and 'dahdah' and 'bah' (ball).  Sometimes I think he quacks like a duck, but I can't be sure.  He loves Elmo and when you sing songs to him.  He throws a fit on the floor if you take something away.  He shakes his head every time he hears the word 'no.'

Bandit!
little still doesn't sleep all night.  We're working hard at it, but he has quite a bit of separation anxiety that is much worse at night. Basically, he doesn't like us out of his sight. Which is nice, except that I'm tired and the kid needs to sleep before his poor dahdah slips into a coma from exhaustion.




I took him for a short hike today, it was beautiful outside and we were missing Big brother.  little is a good travel companion.  He is quiet and likes to just look around very contentedly.  Sometimes he squeaks or squawks (or quacks) when he likes something and sometimes he pulls my hair from the backpack carrier, but for the most part, I think going for hikes is his favorite. 

I love bed!

That's the big stuff to update about. My apologies for ignoring the blog for a bit, for those of you who still read it. Things are back to a (semi) predictable schedule and I don't plan on being sick again. ever. Things around here just float by. Like a peaceful respite from all the other hectic carpool lane - errands - appointment book - smartphone - calendar of events - express - jet plane - mocha java - make it a double - value meal - world outside of Moraine.

Be nicer to people.


-S.

No comments:

Post a Comment