Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Month Seven

Starting this blog has been a labor of love for D and I.  Sometimes we don't have the time we'd like to work on it.  We're always thinking about it, though.  Every comment or compliment or mention of it really goes straight to our heart.  It's been so awesome to work creatively on something with my darling husband.  I think one of the biggest tests of the compatibility of any two people is putting them together to create something.  So far, I feel like D and I have been successful.  We're really proud of this blog. It means a lot to us, and our family.  The feedback we're given means so much. Thank you for continuing to visit and read.


I know I'm not a writer. Far from it. But when I gave birth to my second son, the one we call little brother, I knew I needed to document things a little better.  That was the beginning of my push to start the blog.  Moving to Moraine, uprooting and changing our lifestyle, all of these things contributed to my desire to record some of the things D and I were thinking and feeling at a pivotal point in our - and our kids' - lives.

soft canopy
Ernest Hemingway said "There are events which are so great that if a writer has participated in them, his obligation is to write truly rather than assume the presumption of altering them with invention." So, in a way, we write this blog out of obligation. The event that is being a part of our family needs to be recorded somehow, honestly and how we see it.


Having said that, I need to update on the amazing little creature that is little brother.  He is 7 months young now.  My. . . how those months have flown.



Little Brother,


You are 7 months now. You're growing so fast. I am so in love with you. We all are.


Your smell is so familiar to me.  It's sweet and warm and all your own.  I wonder if this smell will stay with you as you grow.  I wonder if it is a smell that your children will come to know you by, as you hold them close the way I do, admiring their smells this very same way.

hi
At first, you were so delicate. I wouldn't dare handle you too roughly. The safety and endless hug of my belly was all you knew. The reassuring thud of my heart. I held you so close, I swaddled you when you slept. It made me so sad to imagine your fright of the unfamiliarity, the bright lights, the cold air and loud noises.  Do babies mourn leaving the womb?  Is this why sometimes we can't soothe their cries?

buddies
Before you were born, I always thought you'd be us. A little us. But you aren't us, you're a person unlike any other that came before you. Your eyes are so bright with all of the wisdom you will collect, all the lives you'll touch and the happiness you'll share.  You are strong-willed, little one. Focused, intent, a boy of his own thought.  I see all of these traits in you already.

Like it is written.

too close?
Your dad thinks you are the most precious and fantastic thing in the universe. From the moment he saw you, I knew you were just as much his as you are mine.  You rest on his chest and climb up his tummy sometimes.  He lets you, and professes his love over and over.  You two are intertwined.


You grow so fast, you stretch out like an unfurling fern.  You find your voice and you laugh out loud.  It is sweeter than anything I've ever heard.  You have a wildness that society and time has tamed in me.  It's beautiful.  I'm always yearning to get back some of that wildness.  Through you, I will relive all the feelings I thought I lost with the passing of childhood.  I will feel every bliss and broken heart with you.

  
not napping.
You're moving and discovering. You're crawling now, finding places that your little hands can explore and grasp and pull your body up to see more, more.  You're smart, and busy, and always moving.  But what goes up must come down.  You nap (reluctantly) just as hard as you play.  Your hands softly curl up beside your sleeping face and I can't believe how completely I love you in just seven months.


Every day with you is a gift. Watching you grow and become who you will be has been a tremendous blessing. Every meal you eat, every nap you take, every new exploration or discovery is the sweetest.  Thank you for choosing me to be your mom.


I like you, I love you, I will always protect you.

Love,

your mom.


-S.

No comments:

Post a Comment